National Center of Hygiene, Medical Ecology and Nutrition (NCHEM)
Summary of WOD events by the NCHEM's "Osteoporosis Group"
SHORT SUMMARY OF THE ACTIVITIES OF THE NATIONAL CENTER OF HYGIENE, MEDICAL ECOLOGY AND NUTRITION – “OSTEOPOROSIS” GROUP, RELATED TO THE WORLD OSTEOPOROSIS DAY – 20 OCTOBER 2002
Lesson in osteoporosis-preventive diet for children in kindergarten and pre-school in the town of Shumen
· Dissemination of original health education materials treating risk factors for osteoporosis – booklets, poster, prepared by the group and Prof. JP Bonjour’s book “Invest in your bones” (IOF edition), translated in Bulgarian by the team, in Bulgarian schools;
· Publishing in the press (newspaper “Trud”, 16 October 2002 and newspaper “Uchitelsko delo”, 21 October 2002) of an ancient traditional recipe for strengthening kids’ bone health in early childhood (3 – 5 years of age). This recipe is easily applicable and has a strong positive effect on human bone health in following life periods;
· Presentation at an international forum - II Congress of Medical Specialists from Preventive Medicine in FYR of Macedonia – research results from the implementation of “Intervention Program for Osteoporosis Prevention in School Age” (program developed by the team) and dissemination of our original health education materials on osteoporosis prevention among the participants at the Congress;
· Presentation of lectures on risk and prevention factors related to osteoporosis and promotion of the food supplement “Osteofan” 3+3 (for children and adults) created by us to medical specialists and public in Sofia (17 October 2002), Shumen (15-16 October 2002), Dupnica (23 October 2002);
· Joint participation with the foundation “Women without Osteoporosis” in the organization of an exhibition of preparations for preventive and curative nutrition at osteoporosis and osteodensitometric examinations of women groups at risk (17 October 2002);
· Promotion in the media (newspaper “Trud”, “Uchitelsko delo” etc., Bulgarian National TV, Bulgarian National Radio “Hristo Botev” Program) of articles and materials related to osteoporosis prevention (October 16, 17, 18, 21, 2002);
· Organization and participation in a public lesson for osteoporosis-preventive diet related to kids from kindergartens and children in early school age (Shumen, “Ekzarh Josif” school; Sofia, 55 kindergarten).
Back to Society News